MAIN OBJECTIVE: Coordinate and administer the urban Inuit file of Makivik Corporation. The Coordinator Urban Inuit will work within the framework of the Makivik Strategy and Action Plan on Inuit Homelessness in Montreal. The individual will work in collaboration with Makivik’s justice team as well as with Makivik’s partner organizations in the Montreal region to develop services and support to homeless Inuit in Montreal.
REPORTS TO: Chief of Staff to the President Department
- Act as liaison and contact person with the Corporation’s partners and other stakeholders with regards to Urban Inuit;
- Develop closer working collaboration with southern organization involved in this file (i.e. SQIA, Saturvit, Ivirtivik, Ullivik, etc.);
- Maintain a close relationship with the city of Montreal and Montreal city police department;
- Participate and represent the Corporation, as appointed, to the different committees and working groups pertinent to the Urban Inuit file and Homeless file;
- Support SQIA, Saturvit and others in their activities and programs;
- Maintain collaboration with Federal and Provincial governments in their strategies regarding homelessness and Urban Inuit and make appropriate funding requests;
- Develop collaboration and possible financial agreement with Nunavut organizations;
- Act as a member of the Steering Committee of the Montreal Urban Aboriginal Community Strategy NETWORK;
- Responsible for any funding application from external sources and Ungaluk and produce activity and final reports.
This position requires strong organizational skills, as well as empathy and some judicial knowledge. Priority will be given to Inuit as knowledge of the Inuktitut is required; the person will conduct outreach activities and must be comfortable being outdoors and working with the homeless population.
- Experience in the field of social work
- Written and oral communication skills in English
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word and Internet
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Knowledgeable about Nunavik or northern environment
- Education in fields pertaining to social work is an asset
All marginal benefits available to employees of the Makivik Corporation as outlined in the Human Resources Policy Manual.
Are you interested in this position?
You can apply by filling in the form below.