February 28, 2018
Kangirsuk, Nunavik, February 28, 2019 – Today, elections were held in three (3) communities of Aupaluk, Inukjuak and Salluit to elect their local representative to the Board of Directors of Makivik Corporation.
Candidates in Quaqtaq and Chisasibi were acclaimed as representatives.
Here are the final results, after any recounts (if applicable):
- Maggie Akpahatak has been elected as the member of the Makivik Corporation Board of Directors for the community of Aupaluk.
Eligible Voters: 113
No. of Turnout:49
Maggie Akpahatak: 27
- Adamie Alaku has been elected as the member of the Makivik Corporation Board of Directors for the community of Salluit.
Eligible Voters: 888
Number of Turnout: 248
Michael Cameron: 80
- Rhoda Kokiapik has been elected as the member of the Makivik Corporation Board of Directors for the northern village of Inukjuak.
Eligible Voters: 1072
No. of Turnout: 213
Sarah Inukpuk: 56
Rhoda Kokiapik: 156
Quaqtaq :Mr. Noah Ningiuruvik is elected by acclamation.
Chisasibi: Mr. Charlie Fleming is elected by acclamation.
Chief Returning Officer
Makivik Corporation BOD Elections 2019
February 20, 2018
This is to inform the communities of Aupaluk, Quaqtaq, Salluit, Inukjuak and Chisasibi of the list of nominees for the Community Election for the BOD member of Makivik Corporation.
- Maggie Akpahatak
- Lazarusie Angutinguak
- David (Mala) Lucassie
- Noah Ningiuruvik – Elected by Acclamation
- Adamie Alaku
- Michael Cameron
- Sarah Inukpuk
- Rhoda Kokiapik
- Charlie Fleming – Elected by Acclamation
An election will be held on February 28, 2019 for the communities of Aupaluk, Salluit and Inukjuak. An advance poll will be held on February 25, 2019.
Feburary 4, 2018
This is to inform the public of Aupaluk, Chisasibi, Inukjuak, Quaqtaq and Salluit that the Call for Nominations is open for the position of community director of Makivik Corporation.
As of Monday February 4, 2019, you may request for a nomination form from the Local Municipality (for Aupaluk and Inukjuak) or LHC (for Salluit, Quaqtaq and Chisasibi) or by contacting Lucy Grey at 819-935-4989 or MElections@makivik.org, the Chief Returning Officer.
The Deadline to send the nomination forms is Monday, February 11, 2019 before 5:00 p.m. The nomination forms are to be forwarded to the Returning officer, by fax at 514-745-3700 or by email at MElections@makivik.org.
An Advance Poll is scheduled for Monday, February 25, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. ‘til 6:00 p.m. The Election Day shall be on Thursday, February 28, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. ‘til 6:00 p.m. If required in the event that no candidate is able to obtain a majority (50%+1) of the votes in a given community, a Runoff election between the two (2) candidates earning the most votes will be held in the concerned community on Thursday, February 28, 2019 from 10:00 a.m. ‘til 6:00 p.m.
The following persons shall not be nominated or elected as Community Director of the Corporation:
- any person who is not affiliated or not residing ordinarily in the mentioned community;
- any person who is an undischarged bankrupt;
- any person who is not a beneficiary of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Inuit Agreement;
- any person who has been convicted of an indictable offense punishable by imprisonment for two (2) years or more; such disqualifications shall continue for five (5) years after the term of imprisonment fixed by the sentence and, if only fined is imposed or the sentence suspended, for five (5) years from the date of the conviction, unless the person has obtained a pardon for such indictable offense;
- any person who has any outstanding debts of any nature or kind with the corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries which have remained unpaid for more than ninety (90) days, or a person who failed in the past to honour a debt which remains unpaid to the Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries;
- Any person who is not fluent in Inuktitut will not be elected or nominated.
- Any person, other than an executive director of the Corporation, who is an employee of the Corporation or one of its subsidiaries;
- Any person whose actions, activities or relationships could have, directly or indirectly, the effect of disqualifying the Corporation and/or its affiliates from eligibility for contracts with any public body.